A brief history of foldens hotel

Foldens Hotel was originally a farm constructed by Gotfred Jensen in 1881. The farm consisted of a six winged residential building. A few years later, another six winged building was built and used as stables and barns.

This building was expanded in 1899 with six new wings - also furnished for stables and barns.

The architect Julius Berg designed an extension in 1920 intended for hotel operation, which was later taken over by Søren Folden.

The hotel remained in the Folden family until 1991, after which Gitte Nordmann took over the hotel. She initially started as a bartender at Visværtshuset under Anne Folden. She went on to lease Visværtshuset and later took over the hotel.

During the period that Gitte Nordmann has owned the hotel, it has been  renovated several times. In 2003 the Cafeteria was demolished and a two storey building with brand new rooms was subsequently built. The hotel originally consisted of 25 rooms, but today the hotel has a total of 38 rooms. 

​A funny story of why the Folden family started in the hotel business.

Originally the first Folden was a police chief in the municipality of Skagen. As the police chief in a small country town you got along with everyone and always talked to each other in an informal manner.​ Skagen was to be visited by King Christian the 10th and Queen Alexandrine who were going on a tour of Skagen. ​The task of the police chief was to keep track of the assembly, traffic etc. during the royal visit. ​It was not an easy task, as a great number of people gathered and the King and Queen were somewhat delayed. The King finally arrived, after which the Police chief exclaimed, "There is the King, but where the hell is the bitch". ​After this incident the chief of police had to find another way to make a living.

Subscribe our newsletter